Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Day 0

A year ago today I never could have predicted that things would turn out the way they did. When I got into Lewis and Clark College, I was positive that it was the school for me. I was going to thrive and blossom and be happy with rainbows and butterflies in the beautiful Portland, Oregon. Unfortunately it didn't quite work out that way. For a multitude of reasons, L&C just wasn't my thang, and as I sat at my desk procrastinating, reading my friends', Jason, Max, and Jackson's blogs of their worldly explorations, a feeling turned inside of my stomach telling me that I, too, needed to be out discovering the wonders of this Earth. Dreams of travel consumed my mind and I could no longer suppress that gut feeling. So I read The Alchemist and that pretty much sealed the deal. After all, Paulo Coelho writes, "The world's greatest lie is that at a certain point in our lives, we lose control of what's happening to us, and our lives become controlled by fate." I somehow convinced my parents that just like The Alchemist's protagonist, I needed to follow my Personal Legend. And now here I am, the day before I embark on a truly insane journey.

For the next three months I'll be travelling through Nepal on a backpacking program with a group of about 10 people my age. We'll be travelling from village to village, city to city (but not really because there's only one big city in Nepal) and living as Nepalis do. We'll learn some of the language, live with families, and trek through the Himalayas as we soak up the unbelievable surroundings and the spirituality that encompasses its people (I know that's a brief explanation of the coming months but it's more exciting to not have exact plans).  How surreal! I've been thinking about all of this for so long, it's weird that it's really finally happening! I'm so grateful!!!!!!!

Though this was an odd and challenging year for me, I feel so strong in all that I've accomplished and overcome. I have no idea what to expect from this year and I'm pretty nervous, but I feel so proud of myself for making the decision to change things and go forth with this journey. LECH LECHA!!!!!!! I have learned this year more than ever that it is only from challenging situations and obstacles and that we grow and blossom into the beautiful people we all can be!! I am so infintely grateful to my friends and family who have supported me so much, I feel like the luckiest girl in the universe to be surrounded by such mind-blowingly incredible people!!! You all inspire me endlessly and I would not be the person I am without you! So as I embark on this journey, I hope you too follow whatever it is that makes your heart sing! And read The Alchemist if you need some extra motivation. Sending my love to everyone. Namaste.


The packing begins...........


1 comment: