Thursday, September 13, 2012

Day 6

Namaste! The divine in me bows to the divine in you! This greeting rings true in my soul and I cherish this word at the end of every yoga class. However, as we've begun to integrate into the local Nepali culture of Bhaktapur, "Namaste" has evolved to encompass a beautifully new meaning of soulful radiance and shared human joy. Walking through the streets of and alleyways that neighbor the Bhaktapur Guest House, men and women initially look at us with blank eyes, unsure of our Western presence. But the second you bring your hands to your heart, bow your head, and say, "Namaste," their faces light up with the most beautiful smiles, and overwhelmed by happiness, respond, "Namaste." What a powerful greeting!! There is no simple, "hey" or "hello," only, "I bow to the godliness in you." Incredible! I think this naturally affects the sense of community in this place, because rather than hardly acknowledge the people around you, Nepalis show respect and reverance for everyone they encounter. Despite the complete lack of governmental infrastructure, I would argue that the community in this ancient city is stronger than anything we've ever experienced growing up in the West. Walking through the bazaars, any Nepali who notices a confused face will eagerly jump in and do whatever they can to help, and if they cant, they'll refer you to their "uncle" around the corner. This insanely welcoming attitude has made me feel so at ease and confident getting around the city independently.
This morning, before exploring the city, we hiked deep through the hills to a temple for Shiva, the Creator and Destroyer. I feel so grateful for this experience! At the top of the hill, where the temple sits, we were in the company of only a few locals, there to perform their daily rituals to their chosen deity. There was a great shrine to Shiva, inside which sat a large statue covered in colored powder, surrounded by small flower petals and incense. I entered and said to myself, "Om Namah Shivaya," a praise to Shiva which I have also been taught to mean, "I am complete as I am." Around the shrine were small statues for Shiva's consort, Parvati, his son, Ganesh, and the goddess of knowledge, Saraswati. A worshipper explained that Shiva isn't greedy, he shares his space with those he loves. No wonder he is such a highly admired God!
Tomorrow we leave for a five day trek through Langtang National Park. We'll sleep in teahouses in rural villages and peak at 13,000 feet. We planned to leave early tomorrow morning, but a bandh, or strike, has been called due to an increase in gas prices (it's 8 US dollars per gallon here!). Due to the strike, all roads will be closed and any cars who try to pass will be harassed. The country will effectively stop using all oil for the day. What a beautiful form of dissent! And while it's fascinating and admirable that the country will cut its oil use, we'll be postponed a little, and we'll leave in the afternoon rather than morning. But hey, I'm excited nonetheless! Almost immediately after the trek, we'll leave for our rural homestays in some village I can't remember the name of.  Before this trip I sort of decided that I would be willing to taste the meat my family offers to me if they had killed it themself (and hopefully I'll be able to participate in this process too). Of course all of that is far beyond anything I've ever done and makes me nervous and slightly sad, but I feel ready and oddly excited. Anyway, I will likely be without internet for the next two or so weeks. But I promise when the opportunity arises I will be in touch. You are all on my mind. We had a fire tonight and it instantly reminded me of my inner strength and made me feel at home, of course because of my remarkable community. You all empower me and I am so grateful!! Okay I need to run to my room before it starts torrentially pouring (damn monsoon). Namaste!


























crazy eyes late night in Nepal










No comments:

Post a Comment